We aim to develop strong and independent communities. CCDT plays an important role as the ‘community anchor’ for both Roussillon Park and Graylingwell Park, empowering the community by creating a focus for community groups, championing collective interests and providing support.
The Fish and Chip Charity Pub Quiz is a great success story and demonstrates how we can empower community members.
The Fish and Chip Quiz has been running for six months now. It is a fantastic event that brings residents together.
It all started with a conversation at one of our Community Cafés. Angie, our community development officer, was approached by Roussillon Park resident Brian. He wanted to put on a pub quiz to bring people together and raise funds for charity.
Brian has the quiz master skills and Angie and CCDT’s Emma supported him in setting it up with free venue hire, organising a local fish and chip van, and helping on the quiz nights. The rest of the team at CCDT also got behind Brian’s idea by marketing it to residents in the What’s On and on social media.
Each and every quiz night was a great success. After a several popular events, Angie suggested to Brian that he recruit a small committee of friends to help run the events.
It is a win for the community because it is a great, fun event. It is a win for CCDT as we wish to empower and support community members to achieve their aims. And it is definitely a win for charity, as Brian’s events create regular donations! We are really grateful to Brian for coming to discuss this idea with us and delighted with the result.
Over this last year, we have worked with:
– Sarah Hughes, Wildlife Officer
– Neil Cotton, WSCC Community Engagement Officer
– Graylingwell Park Residents’ Association
– Roussillon Park Residents’ Association
– Chichester Cathedral, Education Officer
– Ross Wilson, Chichester University, WWI project
– A resident who wanted to start exercise classes (she decided to not proceed)
– A resident at Roussillon Park, interested in marketing and mentoring students
– A resident at Roussillon Park, who wants use the marketing suite as a community gym
– Janet Borgers, PING intergenerational initiative, for table tennis tables for the community
– Lions Club, Christmas event at The Lodge